Gutters and downspouts collect and carry away rainwater that would otherwise run off the roof, splash down and erode the soil and stain the siding. Repair Copper Gutter More important, gutters and downspouts form the first line of defense against a wet basement or crawl space: If you let water collect along the foundation, hydrostatic pressure will build, and water will eventually find its way inside the house. It’s equally important to keep the ground around a hillside home dry. For these reasons it’s important that your gutters are in proper working order. Here, we’ll show you how to patch a hole, seal a leaky corner joint and secure a gutter that’s pulled away from the house. Fix these problems as soon as they occur and your gutters will work more effectively and last many years longer.
If you’re looking for a unique finishing touch for your home, copper rain gutters are a great choice. Copper gutters will make your home stand out and provide you with a custom appearance while still offering the durability and performance you need from your gutters. Many homeowners opt for cooper gutters and downspouts, as well as adding a copper metal roof over bay windows.
Gutter Cleaning Tools Home Depot
If you don’t have gutter guards to prevent clogs from fallen leaves, cleaning your gutters is a necessary (and messy) job. Leaves and debris that pile up in your gutters can cause water to spill over the brim, creating foundation and drainage issues. Melted snow can also freeze and create ice dams that will cause leaks inside the home.
Types of Gutter Cleaners
Gutter cleaning is a potentially dangerous project, as there’s an increased risk of injury anytime you climb a ladder. Manufacturers offer different gutter cleaners designed to lessen the risk. Below are the most common and reliable types of products for cleaning your gutters.
- Telescopic hose wands are ideal for those who prefer to keep both feet planted firmly on the ground. These products attach to your garden hose’s threaded fitting and allow users to reach gutters without a ladder. They have hooked arms that reach and spray down into your gutters and telescoping sections for convenience.
- Telescoping claws offer a more aggressive approach. These devices affix to the end of a telescoping pole and reach down into your gutters to loosen and remove leaves and debris. While they can be a bit more labor-intensive than a hose attachment, they’re able to break up tough blockages much easier. They do require climbing a ladder, which isn’t ideal for all DIYers.
- Gutter cleaning scoops are great if you’re comfortable on a ladder. These inexpensive options look like large candy scoopers and allow you to reach down into your gutter and scoop the debris accumulated at the bottom. Gutter cleaning scoops are extremely effective, but they require moving the ladder every 4 or 5 feet.
- Pressure washer attachments can make short work of a dirty gutter. These long, hooked attachments snap onto your pressure washer’s handle, Repair Copper Gutter allowing the user to position a nozzle directly into the gutter and remove leaves, debris, and the gutter gunk that builds up throughout the year. Some models even have dual-sided attachments that spray in both directions simultaneously.
- Wet/dry vacuum attachments are another ground-based gutter cleaning product. These kits attach to your wet/dry shop vac and work by vacuuming or blowing the contents out of your gutter. Most kits are universal and feature several lengths of rigid vacuum pipe and a hooked nozzle for reaching into the gutter. You do need a stout vacuum to get the job done, however. It’s also challenging to blow wet leaves, so this job is best to tackle after a few sunny days.
How to Clean Aluminum Gutters
When deposits begin to build up on your gutters, it’s important to use basic cleaning procedures to start cleaning. Cleaners such as KRUD KUTTER, GC32 Gutter Cleaner, or Gutter Zap Cleaner for Your Gutters can be used to clean heavily soiled areas. You will also need a soft rag, sponge and a soft bristle brush for tough to clean areas.
If the tiger stripes are deeply ingrained into your gutters, you will want to invest in professional gutter service to take care of the problem. While you can try to clean the surface yourself, Repair Copper Gutter you may need strong cleaning solution to get the job done right such as Johnson S C Inc 00286 Fantastik All-Purpose Cleaner. You may have to clean your gutters more than once in order get the gutter completely clean.
Avoid using cleaning products that are abrasive, contain ammonia or are used as pain removers. These cleaners can destroy the finish on your gutters. In addition, stay away from using harsh scrubbing brushes as these can ruin the finish on your gutters.